Friday 26 August 2016

Green Banana Crepes.

Assalamu alaikum wa rahmatullahi wa barakatuhu!

In the Name of Allah, Most Gracious, Most Merciful

My new favourite breakfast!

And, it's kind of healthy too!

Which is perfect considering all the indulgence around here lately.

Speaking of sweet things, did you guys see me make salted caramel on snapchat (muslimgirlbakes) this morning? My gosh, it was so good. And, super salty too. Just how I like it.

So, these crepes. They have no sugar in them and are green because of plenty of fresh spinach. Not the most appetizing idea but I love them. This coming from the person who is constantly surrounded by all the sweet things. Thankfully, we add a banana along with virgin coconut oil to give the crepes a little natural sweetness. And then, once cooked, you can fill/drown them in as many sweet things as you like. I love mine drenched in maple syrup with plenty of Nutella and cookie butter on the side. Happy green crepe making!

Breakfast Pancakes, previously: cinnamon oat pancakes with raspberry honey sauce // gingerbread pancakes // british pancakes // american pancakes

A Simple List of Ingredients:
1. Milk
2. An Egg
3. Virgin Coconut Oil
4. Halal Vanilla Extract
5. Plain Flour
6. Salt
7. Water
8. Fresh Baby Spinach
9. Banana

Bismillah, let's cook!

We begin my making our crepe batter. I used a bowl and a stick blender but you can also dump everything straight into a food processor or jug blender.

First, pour in 130 ml Milk.

I used semi-skimmed but any milk will do.

Then, take 1 large Egg.

Crack it into a small bowl and pour in with the milk.

Next, grab some coconut oil. I prefer a virgin one since it's completely pure and has the sweetest taste and smell.

We're going to melt our coconut oil but I didn't need to due to all the hot weather we've been having here.

So, add in 1 and 1/2 tablespoons Melted Coconut Oil.

Next, more sweetness from vanilla.

Add in 1/2 teaspoon Halal Vanilla Extract.

Then, throw in 70 grams Plain Flour.

And, a Pinch of Salt.

Before pouring in 40 ml Water.

Finally, it's time for the two most important ingredients.

First, 30 grams Fresh Baby Spinach.

The spinach gives our crepes the best colour plus a good kick of iron. You can't really taste it especially if you fill your crepes with a teaspoon of the good stuff.

And, last but most certainly not least, 1 ripe Banana. The riper it is, the sweeter it will be.

Peel it, break it up and throw it in.

How easy was that? 

All we do now is blend everything together until smooth. I used a stick blender but a food processor or jug blender will do too.
Also, this crepe batter keeps well in the fridge overnight. I like to make it the day, pop in the fridge overnight and have green crepes for breakfast for the next morning!

To cook the crepes, you can use a crepe pan or a frying pan. Place it over a medium heat.

Once the pan is hot, drizzle on a little oil. I used coconut.

When making crepes, I like to wipe off any excess oil with a paper towel.

I used a 1/3 cup measure to make my crepes and this made around 8.

Little tip: I always like to test my batter/pan heat out first. I make a tiny crepe and then continue making bigger ones once I know the pan temperature is just right.

So, fill up the measuring cup with batter.


Pour the batter onto the hot pan.


Swirl and tilt the pan to spread out the batter.


Then, let the crepe cook for 1 minute.


Grab a spatula.


And, flip!

Cook for a further minute.


Once the second side is also golden, remove from the pan.


Continue cooking the rest of the crepes.

Fill the crepes with your favourite sweet spreads.


My mum loves this Bounty one.

I have a soft spot for the Cadbury one. I actually used to prefer it over Nutella when I was a student.


And, I couldn't resist picking up this Twix one.


Speaking of.


Finally, this cookie butter is my new favourite. 


And, these crepes love a good syrup. I love maple but even golden syrup would be delicious here!


The ultimate bank holiday breakfast!

 Oh go on, just a little more maple.

Full Written Recipe:


Green Banana Crepes.

Prep Time: About 10 minutes.
Cook Time: About 10 minutes.
Serves: Makes about 8 crepes.

Ingredients

For the Green Banana Crepes
130 ml Milk
1 large Egg
1 and ½ tablespoons Melted Virgin Coconut Oil (melt the oil and then measure)
½ teaspoon Halal Vanilla Extract
70 grams Plain Flour
Pinch of Salt
40 ml Water
30 grams Fresh Baby Spinach
1 ripe Banana
Oil, to cook

To Serve
Maple Syrup
Fresh Fruit
Sweet Spreads

Method

Blend up the crepe batter! Into a jug blender or in a large bowl with a stick blender, place all the crepe batter ingredients. Blend until smooth.

To cook, heat a crepe pan or frying pan over a medium heat. Add a little oil (I used coconut) and swirl around. Wipe out any excess oil with a paper towel.
To make a crepe, fill a 1/3 cup measure with some batter. Pour onto the hot pan and then tilt the pan to allow the crepe to spread evenly. Cook for 1 minute then carefully flip. Cook for a further minute until the second side is golden and remove from the pan.
Continue cooking the rest of the crepes.

To serve, fill the crepes with sweet spreads, if preferred. Drizzle over maple syrup and serve with fresh fruit and your favourite coffee. Enjoy!

{Adapted from Half Baked Harvest}

This Time One Year Ago:

This Time Two Years Ago:

This Time Three Years Ago:


Keep me in your duas please, and enjoy your crepes,

Assalamu alaikum wa rahmatullahi wa barakatuhu!


Spice Enthusiast
© copyrights This Muslim Girl Bakes, All Rights Reserved. Branding & Blog Design by Sadaf F K.