Friday 4 March 2016

February 2016: Food + Favourites!

Assalamu alaikum wa rahmatullahi wa barakatuhu!

In the Name of Allah, Most Gracious, Most Merciful




{via}
How are you guys on this snowy Friday? Yes, that's right. I woke up this morning to the sound of peaceful silence as opposed to last night's hammering rain. Up went the blinds and I took a sharp intake of breath at the most beautiful scene outside. Proper, thick snow on the ground plus it was still falling. Needless to say, my day was made.

So, news. I won't be doing my weekly posts any more. I know, I'm sad too. But honestly, getting two full-photo recipes out every week along with a post at the weekend (which is always the busiest for me) was driving me crazy. Instead of a weekly post, I will be rounding up my food and favourites every month. Starting with February! Let's go!

Food: We start with this amazing mousse cake that we had on the plane. It was chocolate cake + chocolate mousse + chocolate glaze.
Ignore the messy plate - you know what breakfast buffets are like. These veggie noodles were amazing in Makkah - super spicy with plenty of soy sauce to boot!
The best hot French fries in Madinah.
Oaty shortbread.
Vanilla chocolate ice cream + toffee chocolate ice cream in Makkah.
Strawberry + chocolate + vanilla + the world's crispiest cone - outside Masjid Qiblatain in Madinah.
Chocolate vanilla + chocolate + raspberry vanilla ice cream - in Madinah.
Strawberry + vanilla + chocolate ice cream + world's crispiest cone - outside Masjid Quba in Madinah.
Gluten-free lemon poppy seed loaf + lemon drizzle.
My cousin baked it to welcome us home.
Our house omelette with red onion, jalapeno, basar curry powder and fresh coriander + my Aunt's minced lamb with karela curry + toast + ketchup.
My Aunt's smoky tandoori chicken + charred onions + chicken pulao + yoghurt.
Stuffed paratha with minced lamb and karela curry + coriander, green chilli and mint yoghurt.
Salted chocolate chunk cookies - so happy to find them in my freezer.
Spicy chicken sandwiches + crisps + tomato + lettuce + cucumber.
Chicken veggie pizza + garlic sauce.
British pancakes + lemon juice + sugar.
Fresh mint + green chilli chutney.
Mum's boneless chicken curry with basar curry powder.
Sticky toffee pudding without dates + toffee sauce.
Mum's chicken curry + my Aunt's creamy yoghurt curry with pakoras {made with her homemade yoghurt no less!} + boiled rice.
Roasted jalapeno cheddar chicken burgers + BBQ aioli.
A bowlful of noodles with soy, ginger, garlic, lime juice and chilli sauce.

Hash with roasted jalapeno cheddar chicken mince + courgette + carrot + cumin + coriander + the fluffiest baked potato with salted butter.
Lemon posset.

the best breakfast! softly scrambled eggs + salt + pepper + crispy toast.
grilled chicken shawarma + sumac lemon chopped salad + mujaddara.
lemony, spicy fried fish + chips.

no-bake tiramisu cheesecake --> the best for celebrating surviving the dentist.

I'm sure she would approve! :)
French onion soup + giant Cheddar tiger bread croutons.
Cheesy chicken plait.
Giant coriander chilli cheese toast.
chicken enchiladas - perfect for Sunday lunch!
Nutella hazelnut chocolate chunk cookies.
Baked spicy chicken wings.
Had to include the money shot when cooking .....
... a giant pot of Saag.
The best with a soft wholemeal tortilla.
Capricci pasta + roasted balsamic red onion + cherry tomato + garlic + basil. 


Favourites: The highlight was obviously our Umrah trip - this being our view for entire week!

In Madinah! Alhamdulillah, our trip was one of the best yet!
The prettiest flowers from my cousin.
Cooking a giant batch of roasted vegetable stock. Plus I have no idea what that vegetable is in the top right hand corner but it looks like a rose! So pretty!
So worth making your own if you have the time!
My mother never apologizes for her butter usage - this was for the Saag tarka. 
Got way too excited at the supermarket with these flower bulbs thinking spring was here. Then, this happened.

Also, I am huge fan of odd pasta shapes.

Finally, snow! You guys know how much I love my snow!

Your Photos: You guys are the best when it comes to sending me pictures of your food - keep them coming!
Crispy Onion Bhajis - cooked by @super.duper.yumm.cooking
Homemade Doughnuts - baked by @hajras_kitchen
The Chocolate Cake - baked by one of you on Instagram.
Easy + Traditional Pakistani Chicken Biryani - cooked by @shaim_aya
Chocolate Brownie Cookies - baked by @royal_mehndi
Cookies inspired by these + sandwiched with Nutella.
Cheesy Chicken Nachos - cooked by @fatemam_m
One of you on Snapchat enjoying my Umrah posts.
Thursday Chocolate Brownies - baked by one of you on Snapchat.

Lately, on the blog:

Spice Enthusiast
© copyrights This Muslim Girl Bakes, All Rights Reserved. Branding & Blog Design by Sadaf F K.