Thursday 8 October 2015

Carrot Apple Salad.

Assalamu alaikum wa rahmatullahi wa barakatuhu!

In the Name of Allah, Most Gracious, Most Merciful

How autumn is it right now?
Even the weather is playing ball, turning the leaves into delightful shades of red and yellow.
And, let's not even talk about the madness that is pumpkin. Pumpkin in everything it seems these days. Which reminds me, I've never eaten a pumpkin pie. Hmmm. Is it worth it guys? I know it's big in the States but here in England, I've never really seen it being made that often. Let me know.
Around these parts, autumn means cooler weather and richer food. Yesterday, we baked the first shepherds' pie of the season. On the side, at lunch with my cousin (discussing the after-pain of the night shift) we ate fresh corn and this carrot apple salad.
A salad containing five ingredients which is sweet, salty and sour - the perfect accompaniment to all the rich (I just wrote "rice" instead of "rich" - it's an addiction, I tell you) autumnal foods that are bound to have your tables groaning this month.

Carrot Salads, previously: spicy grilled chicken salad + creamy coriander dressing // zesty rice salad // chicken noodle salad.

A Simple List of Ingredients:
 1. Carrots
2. Apples 
3. Preserved Lemons
4. Sultanas
5. Salt and Pepper

Bismillah, let's begin!

 First up, let's prepare 4 Carrots. These were pretty big carrots so add more or less as you see fit.

 Peel the carrots.

 Like so.

 Then, grab a box grater.

 And, grate the carrots.

 You could also use a food processor with the grater attachment.

 Also, don't waste any of the knobbly bits at the end - simply slice them thinly with a knife.

 Once the carrots are all grated, throw them into a large bowl.

 Next, the apples. I used 2 Green Apples and 2 Red Apples but feel free to use all red. I like a mixture of the two as it gives a sweet/sour note to the salad.

Now, if you want a more relish kind of salad, you could peel and grate the apples but I prefer to thinly slice mine. So, I core them.

And, thinly slice them.

If you snack on a few, we won't judge. I mean, they are apples after all. Health-food central.

I sliced up both the red and green apples.

And, tossed them into the bowl with the carrots.

To the apples and carrots, a handful of Sultanas were added.

Next, preserved lemons. I got mine back in March from this place.

And guys, they are delicious. The whole lemon has been preserved and pickled making it completely edible. It's just like when you get a piece of lemon in your spicy achar pickle. But less spicy.

Anyway, these lemons add a zing and zesty bite to the salad. If you don't have them, try here. But I highly recommend getting a jar - it lasts for ages.

For the salad, I used 2 Preserved Lemons.

Give them a fine chop.

And, throw them in.

A good season with Salt and Pepper, to taste. The addition of the pepper when tasted with the apple reminds me of the fruit chaat that is synonymous with Ramadan round here. Pepper is enough for me though - me and fruit with chaat masala never did get along. 

And, that's it! Give the salad a good stir.

And, serve it up!

We ate this goodness as a side dish but it also makes an epic snack. Can we now discuss these figs? I cannot wait for them to ripen. Will they ripen?!

Full Written Recipe:


Carrot Apple Salad.

Prep Time: About 15 minutes.
Cook Time: NONE!
Serves: About 6 people.

Ingredients

4 large Carrots
2 Green Apples
2 Red Apples
Handful of Sultanas
2 Preserved Lemons
Salt and Pepper, to taste

Method

Peel and grate the carrots. Core both the apples and slice them thinly – or grate them.

Place them both into a large bowl. Add the sultanas.
Finely chop the preserved lemons and add them to the bowl too.


Lastly, season with salt and pepper. Give everything a good toss and serve!

{Adapted from Cook Express}

This Time One Year Ago:

This Time Two Years Ago:

This Time Three Years Ago:

Keep me in your duas please, and enjoy your salad,

Wasalaam!


Spice Enthusiast
© copyrights This Muslim Girl Bakes, All Rights Reserved. Branding & Blog Design by Sadaf F K.