Assalamu alaikum wa rahmatullahi wa barakatuhu!
In the Name of Allah, Most Gracious, Most Merciful
When I first made this soup, the taste reminded me of the packaged pasta we used to eat as students - except that this soup tasted so much better and used all fresh ingredients. It's still winter in many parts of the world, and this soup is perfect to fight away those cold and stormy winds.
A Simple List of Ingredients:
3. Vegetable Oil
5. Plain Flour
7. Single Cream
8. Ground Nutmeg
9. Salt and Black Pepper
10. Mature Cheddar Cheese
Bismillah, let's make soup!
To start, take 2 heads of Broccoli.
Slice off the hard woody stems and cut into florets.
Peel and chop 1 Onion.
To a large soup pot, heat a few tablespoons of Vegetable Oil.
Along with 1 tablespoon of Butter.
Add the sliced onions.
Cook for 5 minutes.
Next, add 2 tablespoons of Plain Flour.
Cook, stirring, for 1 minute.
Then, take 1 litre of Milk.
And, 1/2 pint of Single Cream. You could use double cream too, if you want.
Pour both the milk and cream into the pan, and stir in.
Add a pinch of Ground Nutmeg.
The broccoli florets.
And, Salt and Black Pepper, to taste.
Stir well, and bring to the boil. Keep an eye on it because milk can burn at the bottom when boiling.
Cover and turn the heat to low. Cook like this for 30 minutes or until the broccoli is soft.
Once cooked, sprinkle on a large handful of Grated Mature Cheddar Cheese. Make sure you grate it yourself - the stuff in the packets is awful!
Stir until the cheese is melted.
At this point, you could serve the soup like this or ..
.. remove it from the heat and blend until smooth. I used a stick blender but you could use a jug blender too.
And, you're ready to serve!
As I was baking some Baked Doritos (recipe coming soon!) that same day, I decided to garnish the soup with a few of them. This soup is great by itself - a nice big bowl of steaming comfort. You could also cool it completely and freeze it in portions ready for whenever you need it!
Full Written Recipe:
Full Written Recipe:
Cheesy Broccoli Soup
(adapted from The Pioneer Woman)
· 2 Broccoli Heads, cut into florets
· 1 Onion, peeled and chopped
· Few tablespoons Vegetable Oil
· 1 tablespoon Butter
· 2 tablespoons Plain Flour
· 1 litre Milk
· ½ pint Single Cream
· Pinch of Ground Nutmeg
· Salt and Black Pepper, to taste
· Large Handful of Grated Mature Cheddar
1. Heat the oil and butter in a large soup pot. Add the chopped onions, and cook for 5 minutes.
2. Add the plain flour and cook for about a minute. Pour in the milk and cream. Then, add the nutmeg, salt, black pepper and broccoli florets. Give everything a good stir, and bring to the boil.
3. Reduce the heat to low, cover and cook for 30 minutes or until the broccoli is soft.
4. Then, add the grated cheese and stir until melted. Blend the soup if you like it smooth or leave as it is, and serve!