Friday, 29 November 2013

Chicken and Spinach Curry

Assalamu alaikum wa rahmatullahi wa barakatuhu!

This recipe is for Chicken and Spinach Curry. It is a very quick, easy and tasty dish, and can be served with rice or roti. This curry is one of the classic Pakistani dishes, and can be found on menu rotations in many Pakistani households.


A Simple List of Ingredients:

1. Vegetable Oil
2. Onions
3. Whole Chicken Pieces
4. Fresh Ginger
5. Fresh Garlic
6. Green Chillies
7. Tomatoes
8. Salt
9. Ground Cumin
10. Ground Coriander
11. Red Chilli Powder
12. Ground Turmeric
13. Fresh Spinach Leaves
14. Water


Bismillah, let's begin!



So, to make this curry, I heated a few tablespoons of vegetable oil in a large pan - as always!




To the hot oil, I added two onions which had been peeled and sliced.




Once the onions were soft and lightly golden brown ..




.. I added one whole chicken, cut into pieces.




I browned the chicken on a high heat until it was golden brown.




Once most of the chicken was browned, I added a 2 inch piece of fresh ginger, crushed and 5 garlic cloves, crushed.




Four chopped green chillies




And, one chopped tomato. I stir fried everything for a few minutes.



Then, I added one teaspoon of salt.



1/4 teaspoon of ground turmeric



One teaspoon of red chilli powder




One teaspoon of ground coriander and one teaspoon of ground cumin. I cooked all the spices for a few minutes.




Next, I took two bunches of spinach leaves which had been chopped and washed. You could also use the bagged spinach too or even frozen or tinned.



I added in the spinach ..




.. and stirred it in.




At this point, I poured in 1/2 cup of water




And, brought everything to the boil. Then covered the pan and simmered it on low for 30 minutes until the chicken was cooked through and the water had all dried out.




After simmering, my curry was ready to serve!



Serve with rice, roti or naan - whatever you're in the mood for really!

Wasalaam!

Chicken and Spinach Curry

Ingredients

·     Few tablespoons of Vegetable Oil
·     2 Onions, peeled and sliced
·     1 Whole Chicken, cut into pieces
·     2 inch piece Fresh Ginger, crushed
·     5 Garlic Cloves, crushed
·     4 Green Chillies, sliced
·     1 Tomato, chopped
·     1 teaspoon Ground Cumin
·     1 teaspoon Salt
·     1 teaspoon Red Chilli Powder
·     ¼ teaspoon Ground Turmeric
·     1 teaspoon Ground Coriander
·     2 bunches or bags Fresh Spinach Leaves, chopped
·     ½ cup Water

Method

1.  Heat the oil in a saucepan. Add the onions and fry until soft and golden brown.

2.  Then, add the chicken pieces and cook until the chicken goes brown.

3. Next, add the crushed ginger and garlic, chillies and tomato. Fry for a few minutes.

4.  Then, add all the spices and salt. Cook for a minute or two.

5.  Throw in the chopped spinach and the water. Stir well, and bring to the boil. Cover and simmer for 30 minutes or until the chicken is cooked and most of the water has dried out.



6.  Serve immediately with roti or rice!

Your Photos:

56 comments

  1. This looks mouthwatering. Another must try to add to my list. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is 180g of baby spinach like in the other recipe okay for this one too? Would the addition of potatoes in this be okay? Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I think that amount of spinach should be fine. And, you can add potatoes, but you may need to add a little more water to cook them. Enjoy!

      Delete
    2. Thanks. Will give it a go.

      Delete
  3. iv made this a couple of times my family love it. thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No problem! It's a favourite around here too! :) I'll be sharing a recipe for Lamb and Spinach Curry soon too. :)

      Delete
  4. Thank you. I'm white so these instructions helped. I'm going to attempt it next week.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Does 4 chillies make it very spicy or medium? Also just wondering 5 garlic cloves does that make it very garlicky? If you were using ginger and garlic paste how much would you advise on each?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For us, 4 green chillies is for a medium spice. But of course it is up to individual tastes. Again, with the garlic it's a taste thing. You can add more or less as you see fit. For this many garlic cloves, 1/2 teaspoon garlic paste and for the ginger, 1/2 teaspoon ginger paste.

      Delete
  6. Hi. This is my favorite curry so I thought I'd try and make it myself. I want to use tinned spinach. How much would I need? Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello! For this recipe using 1 whole chicken, cut up, I would use 1 (400g) tin of spinach. If you prefer more spinach, use 2. Good luck! :)

      Delete
  7. hi there. can I use frozen green chilies? I live in a place where its not possible to quickly buy these chilies. I bought some maybe a month ago and put the excess in the freezer in a bag. Will they be OK?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes, of course you can use frozen green chillies. we always freeze our green chillies too. they'll be fine.

      Delete
  8. Would I need more spices if I doubled the spinach? I made it before using your recipe, loved it but want more spinach.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. for double the amount of spinach, add 2 teaspoons ground coriander + 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric + 6 green chillies + 2 teaspoons ground cumin. add as much red chilli as you like, depending on how spicy you like it. good luck!

      Delete
  9. Really tasty recipe, and great format for cooking with a tablet. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi could I used ground ginger instead of fresh??? And if so how much Thank you
    By the way I used your recipes every week the tandoori chicken pasta is probably my absolute fave but I have it with rice it's amazing xxxxxxxxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lisa! Yes, you can use ground ginger. For this recipe, 1/2 teaspoon is fine. Thank you for your kind words - I never thought of having it with rice and will definitely give it a go! :)

      Delete
  11. Hi I'm going to use frozen spinach will that be ok and if so how much should I use?Thank you x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lisa! We would use about 6-8 cubes of frozen spinach depending on the cube size. Really, it depends on how much spinach you like. Start with 6 cubes and then add more, if it looks less.

      Delete
  12. Hi - looks delicious! How many does this serve?
    Thanks Mandy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mandy! This curry should serve about 4-6 people, depending on how hungry everyone is.

      Delete
  13. Hi how many grams of boneless chicken could I use for this recipe instead of a while chicken? Ps Sorry to be a pest but is the 1/2 cup of water in UK or US mls. Thanks again��

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would use 1 and 1/2 pounds boneless chicken - about 680 grams. the 1/2 cup is just any cup. you only need to get a little bit of water in. good luck!

      Delete
  14. Hi, I love this recipe thank you for posting it up easy step by step instructions too! I just wanted to ask if I'm using tinned chopped tomatoes how much would I need would 1 tin 400g be enough or too much? Thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello! Glad you liked this recipe. To replace the one tomato, 100g (1/4 tin) tinned chopped tomatoes would be fine. If you're using plum tinned tomatoes, then one plum tomato. Good luck!

      Delete
  15. Hi can't wait to try tomorrow.. Does this curry have any sauce? If I wanted to have a little more sauce with this curry, would I have to adjust the amount of spices that I add if I added 1 cup of water instead of half a cup? Thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hope you enjoy it! yes, it does have a sauce but you could add an extra half cup to make one cup and it should be fine. good luck!

      Delete
  16. I made this the other day.... It was one of the best curries I've eaten! Definitely be making it again. Thank you for making everything look so easy :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, that is a compliment indeed. I'm really glad you enjoyed the recipe! :)

      Delete
  17. Hi there, I read read other recipes and all required Methi leaves. Does it alter the taste with/without Methi leaves?
    thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As for this particular, we wouldn't add fresh methi leaves as it would make it too bitter. However, I do have a recipe on the blog for a Potato and Fresh Fenugreek Curry (aloo methi). You could try that and add chicken too.

      Delete
  18. Just tried this recipe, and it went down a storm! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I tried this recipe earlier today, but i halved everything cause i wasn't using as much chicken n spinach as you did it turned out great. iv never been able to make an authentic curry the recipes i try never turn out but this did me and my family loved it.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi I cooked this today my partner loves saag so wanted to try it and this was perfect for me so easy to follow and tasted beautiful thank you

    ReplyDelete
  21. another great recipe,just had this for our dinner gone down a treat yum

    ReplyDelete
  22. Just made this, its amazing!, thank you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. great recipe,very easy to do it step by step and very teasty,thanks for sharing:)

    ReplyDelete
  24. This is so good and easy to make, fantastic, thankyou

    ReplyDelete
  25. Thank you for this great recipe. Jazakallah kheir.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Salaams Sis, can I use tinned spinach instead? If so does the tinned spinach need to be boiled before putting into the curry?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, you can use tinned and no need to cook as I'm sure it's already cooked.

      Delete
  27. Salaam, i wanted to ask if the chicken used was a baby chicken or medium sized ? Thanks x

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
© copyrights This Muslim Girl Bakes, All Rights Reserved. Design by Sadaf F K.