Tuesday, 5 March 2013

Carrot Halwa

Assalamu alaikum wa rahmatullahi wa barakatuhu!

This recipe is for Carrot Halwa, which is a Pakistani sweet dessert pudding. It is made using carrots and sugar, among other things. It is really popular on special occasions such as Eid. It is really easy and simple to make at home. There are many different recipes but this is one of my mothers. 



A Simple List of Ingredients:

1. Carrots
2. Butter
3. Cardamom Seeds
4. Sugar
5. Milk Powder
6. Golden Sultanas

Bismillah, let's begin!



Peel and roughly chop 1 kilo carrots.




Shred the carrots in a food processor.



In a large pan, melt 4 ounces butter.



Add 4 cardamom seeds.



Add the shredded carrots to the pan.



Dry out the carrots for 10 minutes on a high heat, continuously stirring.



Next, add 4 ounces sugar, or to taste.



Stir in the sugar.



Cook for 10 minutes again on a high heat, stirring until the mixture dries out.



Next, add 4 ounces milk powder.



Stir in the milk powder on a low heat.



Cook once again for 10 minutes on a low heat, until the mixture dries up.



Next, add 2 ounces golden sultanas. This is optional but you could also any nuts of your choice.



Stir again for 5 minutes to allow the golden sultanas to heat through.



It's ready! Serve either hot or cold - it's up to you!

Your Photos:

Wasalaam!

13 comments

  1. Really nice. I am not a big fan of carrot halwa, but my husband loves it. This was my 2nd time I made it. 1st one was still a bit crunchy, but last night - perfect.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for leaving this comment. I'm really glad you enjoyed the recipe and I hope it has converted you to the joys of carrot halwa! Can't beat it!

      Delete
  2. Hello! I've never made or eaten carrot halva before but this recipe looks wonderful and I'm excited to make it. I was wondering, which brand of milk power do you use? Because I've found that some can go lumpy or leave small crunchy bits. And also, how many people's dessert will this recipe make? Or does it depend on how much they eat?
    : D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Cesia! You have such a lovely name. I use Nido milk powder. This dessert should serve about 6-7 people - obviously depending on how big of a sweet tooth they have! Good luck!

      Delete
  3. Hi. Have you tried adding double cream to the recipe towards the end? Would like to make it this weekend but was wondering if adding cream would be a good idea! Thank you for sharing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello! You can definitely stir in some double cream at the end - enjoy! :)

      Delete
  4. Assalaamualaykum. Thought I should try your milk powder tip. OMG. It is so much quicker than the milk method I have traditionally used. I also used double cream at the end as suggested above. Sheer bliss. I am now on Instagram. When u figure out how to use it. I shall post photos!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wa alaikumus salaam! So glad you enjoyed the halwa. Be sure to share pictures when you figure Instagram out! :)

      Delete
  5. Assalaamualaykum. Thought I should try your milk powder tip. OMG. It is so much quicker than the milk method I have traditionally used. I also used double cream at the end as suggested above. Sheer bliss. I am now on Instagram. When u figure out how to use it. I shall post photos!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi, can I substitute cardamom powder? If so how much? Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's best to add the cardamom as it gives the halwa a lovely flavour. However, if you must leave it out, it will be ok without.

      Delete
    2. Made it, here it is next to my veg bryani https://postimg.org/image/o3b91jw5h/
      I grated the carrot so when I cooked it, it wasn't soft, there was some bite to the carrot. Next time should I use the blender and make a puree? Or will it affect the taste. I don't have a good processor. 10/10 recipe Alhamdulillah, thank you.

      Delete
    3. So glad you enjoyed the recipe! You may try a puree and see how it goes. It may be a little softer than usual.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
© copyrights This Muslim Girl Bakes, All Rights Reserved. Design by Sadaf F K.